Monday, September 6, 2010

Entry 2: Reflection for first session

It was an interesting introduction to the module by Dr. Yeap, when he encouraged us to try and arrange the number cards and to teach the spelling of the number cards at the same time. For someone who was really bad in Mathematics in my younger days, even I found it a struggle to complete the task. However, I found satisfaction with the fact that I managed to find the sequence for the first three numbers at least. With the help of the other group members, we found the task to be not as stressful as we thought it would be.
I enjoyed watching the video on the dice game. Even as an adult, I was awed by the way Dr. Yeap taught Mathematics. I felt that if my former Maths teachers were like Dr. Yeap, I might have more interest in learning this subject.
The day after the first session, I even tried using the dice available at my centre and carried out the same activity. I was glad that I gave it a shot, as the week before, we did have some addition games being carried out. Some of the children managed to figure out how to get the total number that is hidden between the 2 dice. They figured out the 'trick' that all opposite sides of a dice add up to 7. From there, they were able to calculate the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment