Monday, September 6, 2010

Chapter 1 and 2 reflections

In chapter 1, it was stated on page 4 that 'the Problem Solving standard clearly views problem solving as the vehicle through which children develop mathematical ideas'. I recalled that Dr. Yeap showed us the Mathematics Curriculum Framework, and it was stated that 'Maths is an excellent vehicle for the development and improvement of a person's intellectual competence in logical reasoning, spatial visualisation, analysis and abstract thought.'
I was glad to be able to see the connection between how the textbook is related to Singapore's context, one way or another.
In chapter 2, there were some great ideas on Mathematics activity that I might consider doing with the children at my centre. Although I know that some of the children are not able to carry out the activities as yet, I believe that I can lower down the level of difficulty to suit their needs, and from there, I can scaffold their learning to be at a higher level than the level that they are currently at.

No comments:

Post a Comment